Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Itchy feet...

One thing about me is, I really like to travel. A few years ago, I moved to England for 12 months and had a brilliant time, seeing a fair chunk of the UK, Ireland and Europe. Honestly, one of the best years ever (and I haven't even had 21 to choose from yet!). The only thing was, it totally ruined me forever, because now all I want to do is travel. It seems like every time I cross somewhere off my list of places to go, I add another three... and all of them seem to be overseas, and tend to be on the more expensive side of dreaming.


It's not that I don't like Australia - not even close. There is so much of Australia that I haven't seen, and I keep hearing about places that would be cool to see (like the Big Pineapple and the Big Mango). But, when it boils down to it, Oz is quite same-y. It's great fun - the beaches are brilliant, there's good food, good shopping and lots of things to see, but when it boils down to it, it's still Australia. Everyone has mostly the same accent, and a similar background. I was born here, I've grown up here, and so, I think Australia is just the familiar to me, and is therefore less interesting than, say, Paris. Or Morocco. Or Istanbul. Or Thailand. You get the picture.


A girl I used to work with had no interest at all in travelling the rest of the world. This idea was so alien to me - I mean, sure Australia's got a lot going for it, but imagine all the people you can meet, and the things you can see, and the cuisines you can try elsewhere! But, each to their own. Some people want to see and experience the world. Others are perfectly content in their own spheres. The only people I have problems with are those who want to see the world, but not experience it (and that includes not understanding why everywhere else doesn't speak English. Come on, people).


I found out recently that I could be moving back to the UK next year for about six months. Brilliant! Hopefully, it'll all work out - then I can satisfy my wanderlust (or at least sate it for a while). I've got my fingers crossed, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment