Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Minding P's and Q's

... which actually means mind your pints and quarts, not please and thank you (geddit? Than-Q? Eeeeehhh).

As you could probably tell by my last entry, I've been suffering a bit of the melancholy lately. (Heads up, I wasn't really feeling lonely; just reflecting on the notion of it). But this is less about the grey cloud that surrounds us every now and again, and more about something that makes me annoyed every time I bear witness.

When I was growing up, it was always stressed that I must mind my manners. You know, calling adults Mr. and Mrs. Lastname, saying please and thank you, standing aside to let people pass, not talking while eating, and so on. What this lead to was a basic consideration for other people (or at least, I like to think so), because really: it's nice when people use manners. It becomes a mark of respect, because if I give it then surely I will receive it in turn. Carrying on from this, my semi-intolerant nature has meant that I absolutely hate feeling like I've been rude to someone, and I detest it when people are rude to me. As my Mum used to say: Manners don't cost a thing, but they're worth a lot.

Unfortunately, a lot of people young and old seem to have forgotten this. I've noticed a lot lately that at my work (an electronics store) where I work behind the cash desk, a lot of people are incredibly disdainful and treat me as though I am below them. I don't really understand why; I work hard, and even if I'm not having the best day I still try my absolute hardest to be pleasant. After all, I'm taking large amounts of money from some members of the public. And yet - and I must stress that it's far from the majority of people who do this - there are some customers who are so awful and have no respect for me in my workplace. It sucks; it really does.

Then there are the people who push in front at the supermarket. The friends who change plans at the last minute and don't tell you. The children (!) who run past and knock things over without bothering to pick them up. The people who steal your car parks. The old people who cut in the queue at the deli. The women with prams in the food courts who assume right of way. The sulky store assistants. The up-market store assistants who assume you are too poor to even deign stepping inside. The people trying to get past who say only 'excuse me' with no please, as though it's your fault that they didn't plan their journey properly/have a large trolley/are just plain rude. Everyone is gulity of a bit of rudeness now and again, but seriously. I'm starting to lose faith in humanity.

My advice to everyone: make eye contact. Smile at people. Say 'please', 'thank you', 'hello' and 'goodbye'. Pay attention to where you're going. And remember: if you're nice to people, they'll generally be nice back. And that's where it starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment