Monday, October 18, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Nearly two weeks ago, I went and saw Eat Pray Love with my friend Hayley. I really enjoyed it - it hasn't had the best reviews, but I loved the cinematography and the way that they showed Italy, India and Bali when she was there. I also loved the soundtrack, which featured Neil Young, MIA, Aphex Twin and Mozart. I don't really understand why people seem to have hated the movie - I thought it was a nice, slow-moving film that reflected how life and relationships don't really work the way that we expect them to, but if you give them a chance, they will work for you.

Anyway, I went on the IMDB message boards for this film earlier today (when I was supposed to be writing an essay on Banksy, but that's by the by), and amongst all the people who loved or hated it, and one guy who inexplicably couldn't understand why on earth the main character ever left the USA, in his words the "greatest country in the world", I found one thread where the person who started it asked where in the world everyone else would go to eat, pray and love, just like Liz Gilbert in the movie (who went to Italy, India and Bali respectively). I thought this was a nice idea, but when I went to reply... I struggled.

I want to travel to lots of different places all over the world, but I don't really have any reason to want to go to those places, other than to see and experience them. I used to think that was enough, but now I'm feeling that if I'm ever going to even get close to cutting through my list of places to go, I should have some sort of order - or at least, a more cement reason for going there. After all, I sometimes think that my dream is to travel to amazing places, but my nightmare is to be 'just a tourist', who goes to amazing places only to say they've been there.

So after much consideration... here's my list.

EAT:
Turkey or Spain. I've been to Spain, and it's fabulous. The food, the atmosphere, everything. Paella! Sangria! Fresh bread! And I love Turkish food as it is here in Australia, and I'd love to make an educated comparison.

PRAY:
Morocco, because the architecture looks amazing and very reflective. Or Nepal, because the mountains seem as though they'd be cathartic and ideal for meditating on life in general.

LOVE:
Who knows? Where ever it finds me. Maybe Paisley in Scotland though... I am a sucker for the accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment