Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Anatomy of a girl crush

Urban Dictionary:

Girl Crush

Feelings of admiration and adoration a girl has for another girl, without wanting to shag said girl. A nonsexual attraction, usually based on veneration at some level.

"I have a total girl crush on a girl from a band. She can sing, she's GORGEOUS, she's doing an awesome degree and she's intelligent. I want to BE her."

This is a pretty accurate description of a girl crush, I think. In a recent issue of Cleo or Cosmo (can't remember which), they went over the details of a girl crush, which is becoming more and more popularised. The girl they used in the article was Alexa Chung, who is honestly one of the coolest women alive.

My current girl crush is Florence from Florence and the Machine. I'm a little bit in love - I don't want to date her, and I'm not a lesbian. But I adore her dress sense, general look, and her voice. I think if I met her, I would actually be speechless (a big thing for me!) and just not know where to look. She's amazing.

I think it's good now that girl crushes can be acknowledged publically without one's sexuality being questioned. Sexuality is such a grey area that pervades pretty much every aspect of modern Western culture, but I think it's awesome that I can express my little crush (okay, my massive crush) on another girl without being suddenly labelled as a lesbian, just as I'm sure that a lesbian would not necessarily be assumed to be straight just because they said they really liked David Tennant, or someone. I like it.

But seriously... if you don't have Florence and the Machine's Lungs, get into it. Awesome stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment